Thursday, May 30, 2013

Remodeling, reusing, renewing, rewarding!




Never thought about blogging about all the things I have done around the house until I read about The Pintester Movement .

Soooo, since we have been in the house together I have been slowly remodeling each room to reflect my (our) tastes as opposed to his ex's. Not hard to do as they didn't do much of anything but paint a few rooms. Our latest endeavor was the boys/guest bathroom. I got the idea for the walls from this pin on Pinterest: FabulousHomeBlog

Then it was just getting my husband motivated to help me with it.....

This is how the bathroom looked when we started:


First thing was to get rid of the ugly green/brown ceramic tile! Good way to get out your frustrations....
What a job!


 New under-layment going down....


In the original post showing these walls, they didn't put wood on the walls, just the strips. We wanted a more finished look so we choose to put 1/4" luan board on the walls. We used a height of 5 ft.


Below we have the walls done and the strips added. We also have the new flooring in. It
is a laminate whitewashed wood. The strips are 3/16" hardboard.


 Here is a view from the tub...


All painted! It took one coat of primer and two coats of white paint. Notice we added a rail along the top.


For the vanity I found an old (inexpensive) dresser at an antique store. Don't you love those drawer pulls?
They reminded me of boobs and butts. :)


 I stripped it and painted it white.


 I also found an antique mirror and did the same thing. This was for a dresser top so the two sides fold in.


The dresser/vanity and mirror installed. I had to use a bar sink in order to fit the dresser top, but I like it as it is deeper than a regular bathroom sink. I thought I would lose a lot of the drawer space but my husband found a way to modify the drawers so that every one of them are useable! The mirror is hung using a French cleat system. The only thing we didn't replace is the light fixture.
another view...

The artwork  I chose for the boys. The prints I found online, the frames at Michaels....
Boris, Norris & Horace




The final result:


I found the rug, which is made from old blue jeans at the same antique store I found the dresser. I still need to find something to put on the back of the toilet. The principle users of this bath are 9 & 11 yr old boys so it has to be somewhat kid friendly.  Total cost of the materials, including the dresser, mirror, artwork, new shower curtain, rug & towels was around $750.00.

Next project is a dining room table and chairs I found on Craigs List that needs to be refinished. Stay tuned....


6 comments:

Sonja Foust said...

Oh gosh, WOW! That's amazing! If all your home projects look like this, you should seriously blog them all. I love it!

100minus1day said...

This is one of those before/after shots that I wouldn't have believed was DIY unless you showed us each step. You're very creative.

Claire said...

You are mighty ambitious! It turned out awesome! Well done!

 XB said...

Wow! The "after" picture is so impressive and pretty! Well done!

Laura said...

Wow, so gorgeous and well done!

Kimberliah Warren said...

The after is AMAZING! Great job!!!